Sunday, December 2, 2012

Motherless Mothering, Part 2!

I am amazed at the outpouring of comments, emails, messages and support that my last post received.  I’ve received so much encouragement and am so overjoyed that some simple words spoke to so many hearts.

I am even more amazed at the background stories that have landed so many women in the role of mothering without a mother; from abandonment and death to distance and dementia.  And here we are, doing the very best we can to raise our children, both young and old, but still desiring a mother’s influence in our lives.

Here’s what I love about the Bible…if you dig in it enough, there’s always a gentle whisper addressing all the pains in our hearts.  Strangely enough, I find myself loving Isaiah 49:15-16.  I turn to it often in those times of confusions and hurt and I find great comfort in these words. 

“Can a woman forget her nursing child,
And not have compassion on the son of her womb?
Surely they may forget,
Yet I will not forget you.
See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;
Your walls are continually before Me.” (NKJV)

Wait, what was that?  It’s entirely possible that a woman may have no compassion, even abandon, her own children?  The Bible knew that this was something that happened.  There’s nothing new under the sun.  Forgetting my child and having no compassion for him is hard for me to comprehend, but it’s not hard for God to understand.  For whatever reason, be it abandonment, death, distance, or illness, it is a known reality that we could be forever forgotten by our very own mothers. 

But the greatest part about this verse is the end: He will not forget us.  You know who He is?  He is the one who formed us in our mother’s womb.  He is the one who set our hearts in motion.  He is the one who is intimately acquainted with every turn, corner, and hidden place of our hearts.  And good or bad, He is the one who loves us.  Even if we are forgotten or left by the woman who is charged with our care, we are not left without a caregiver. 

He didn’t just stop there.  He not only said He would never forget us, but He is so stinkin’ crazy about us, that He went ahead and carved our names in the palms of His hands!  I don’t know about you, but that makes my heart sing!  It makes me proud to say “I am my beloveds and He is mine!”  Forever and for always, He has me on his mind and I cannot be forgotten.  Song of Solomon 8:7 says (NKJV):

Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love
All the wealth of his house,
It would be utterly despised.”

I have so much to say on the topic of motherless mothering.  Maybe I should be working up a manuscript : )  Reading comments and messages left me wanting to gather you all together, hug, and cry.  There are so many wounds, so many stories, but so much victory!  So many of you have lived amazing lives and have yourself walked into a mothering role without a role model.  And you have done so awesomely!  For all of you, I thank you for hearing my heart, sharing yours, and continuing this journey with me.

We cannot train up our children in the ways they should go and treasure each moment of this journey without knowing deep in our hearts that we have One who loves us more than anyone here on this earth ever could!

I leave you with these great quotes encouraging us to set our minds on things eternal:

"What joy that the Bible tells us the great comfort that the best is yet to be. Our outlook goes beyond this world." - Corrie ten Boom-

"You can look forward with hope, because one day there will be no more separation, no more scars, and no more suffering in My Fathers House. It's the home of your dreams!"
-Anne Graham Lotz-

No comments:

Post a Comment